Monday 5 November 2012

Salt Cured Olives


This is the other method of curing olives i promised you... Salt curing. 

I placed the olives in a bag of porous material, filled it with sea salt, mixed everything up, tied a knot to the bag and hanged the bag in a cool dry place with a container beneath to catch the liquid that will come out.

Every week i opened the bag and mixed everything and topped up with some more sea salt.

All the literature I found said that they would be ready after 8 weeks or until water stops coming out.



These are after just 2 weeks, they had changed their colour and were all shriveled up and i was worried that if i leave them much longer they would dry up completely, so i tasted them and I liked them and decided they are done.

(just in case I left half of them in salt to see what will keep happening). I'll update you if they will get any better.

I placed the olives handpicked from the salt in a colander and poured hot water on them to wash off the salt. Then I rinsed them with cold water.

I placed them on kitchen paper to dry overnight and the next morning I placed them in jars and drizzled them with olive oil.

At this stage I should have added herbs for flavouring but i wanted to eat them so bad that i didn't...

All the people who tried them really liked them... and I hope you will too...

No comments:

Post a Comment