Sunday 26 June 2011

Traditional Ice Cream



Today I relived my childhood days.  I remember my grandpa doing this really tasty and particular ice-cream which for some reason I have never tasted anywhere else.  I did enjoy some really good ice-creams especially in Sicily, but believe me, this is nothing like the others…it stands out.   A friend of mine gave me the recipe which he got from his grandmother and here it is for all of you to enjoy.  Try it out and let me know how you like it.



Ingredients

1 400g condensed milk
400 ml water
100gr sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1 lemon zest
A few drops of vanilla essence
Some grounded roasted almonds·        


Method:


In a sauce pan add the water, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves and lemon zest. 

Bring to a  boil and simmer for 10 minutes





Let cool and strain through a sieve

Add the vanilla essence and milk

Transfer everything to a glass or stainless steel bowl and leave in freezer for an hour.

Break up the ice-cream using a fork and transfer to an ice-cream maker machine.  If you don’t have an ice cream maker machine return mixture to freezer and let stand until completely frozen. 

Add the grounded almonds on top of ice cream before serving

1 comment:

  1. How about making the Maltese winter time favorite of old " " BIGILLA " ?

    ReplyDelete